Tell us your idea

TimeMachine Backup - Directly to Bitcasa

I suggest making Time Machine backups operable on Bitcasa. As of now, I am under the impression that it isn't possible to set Time Machine to backup to the Bitcasa cloud drive. This issue may need to be addressed to Apple rather than Bitcasa, but if it is possible, that functionality would be an incredible boost to my confidence in Bitcasa.

212 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike SwensonMike Swenson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Artur BoderaArtur Bodera shared a merged idea: Fix TimeMachine compatibility (sparsebundle etc.)  ·   · 

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Austin GAustin G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Folks, I know there's not been much movement on this thread but I have conducted several tests to examine if I could do time-machine to a non-sparse ISO and a sparse formatted image file I create that exists on Bitcasa. What I've determined up to this point is that there needs to be a buffering mechanism for time-machine that would allow a "stream copy" to be paused/interrupted with a clean shutdown. The reason for this experiment is that since Bitcasa doesn't directly support timemachine backups as a volume I discovered I could create an image, mount it and backup to that. The issue with this is that the backups are quite limited in scope if you use a non-sparse allocated image since it is finite due to reduction of the file to a manageable size.
        Alternatively a sparse allocated file could be terabytes in size but would only increase size as files were written. In my mind this makes a lot more sense for Bitcasa to allow but the issue I've discovered is that if the stream is interrupted for any reason the image file becomes corrupt. This can happen with non-sparse images as well but the effects are different.

I have a script I could share and I'm looking into how I could write a daemon in either perl or C to allow support time machine backups through some kind of adapter that would allow the backup to be paused/interrupted more cleanly and thus not damage the image housed on Bitcasa. That said,

I'm curious if Bitcasa might be able to provide a "volume level" access or creation option in addition to the existing file-level options? This inherently would require clean connection shutdowns and "streaming" ability. That would increase the overall capability of Bitcasa and therefore increase your cloud-storage based footprint and also potentially drive further interoperability offerings with folks like Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and others as a "secure, infinite and available" cloud storage provider.

Just a couple thoughts. Anyone else thought about making a bitcasa adapter for TimeMachine backups?

• thepenthepen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great, after losing 2 (all) local time machine backups at the same time this would have been a lifesaver. Cloning TM will at least give access to the files if not the time machine interface. However, I don't think cloning from a time capsule would work well, as one has to mount the sparse bundle for access, impossible from the infinite drive as far as I know (?). However, a cloned usb time machine backup.backupdb folder should work.

• DamonDamon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It needs to change. You are missing out on a huge market potential

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great feature. I am positive I would use this feature on my system. Dolly drive now has this.

• ArjanArjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't need this, as I want Time Machine to be able to restore a full backup as quickly as possible. You'll need a local backup disk for that. (Redundant disks, actually.)

The TM-like history-per-file is already available in Bitcasa, though it (currently) doesn't easily show you the last revision if you don't know the deletion date, and though it doesn't integrate into TM-aware applications such as Mail or iPhoto. But also in TM-aware applications, which allow you to find that deleted email or photo without knowing where the application keeps its data on disk, a local disk is so much better, as the search in the TM starfield interface is very disk-intensive.

(I once had to use such local backup disk. Including getting the disk out of my MacBook, going to a store to get a new one, walk back home, mount the new one into the brackets and then into the Mac, and restoring the backup, took me less than 2 hours. You will NEVER get that with any online backup -- if you even manage to mount the disk when all you got running is OS X Recovery.)

I love Bitcasa for what it is.

• CourtCourt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this. This alone would make me spend the $100'a year for sure.

• fsdfsd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They would never support this because it would cost them too much (and use too much bandwidth and stuff). But they for sure need to fix these freezing issues. This service hasn't come close to killing the harddrive in anyway whatsoever

• Colin RossColin Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with this method is that if I try to send large amounts of data to Bitcasa, it invariably freezes the application. At this time, I can only send a few files at a time. Should this be fixed (its been happening for quite some time now), then maybe this will work correctly. Personally, I get about 5 mins into a backup, then it locks up (version 1.1 build 1106).

• McGroartyMcGroarty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think this could work well for most people, at least not without implementing an alternate Bitcasa mount that presents as a local block device. As a network filesystem, Time Machine requires that Bitcasa backups be done on disk images. Time Machine does a verification pass on sparse disk images monthly, and after any unclean backup termination. This involves huge amounts of random reads, and can take upward of an hour to complete even on a Time Capsule on the local network. As a backup set grows, this verification process could easily turn into tying up a user's network for a couple days out of every month. No further Time Machine backups would happen during that verification interval.

• bitCollectorbitCollector commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ken,

1: Open disk utility.

2: From the file menu, select New, then Blank Disk Image and enter a name for the file

Your infinite drive should then be available as a destination to save the image.

3: Choose settings from the drop down menus.

3a: Enter a name for your image (This is what your image will be mounted as)

3b: From the size option, choose a custom size and enter the size you want.

3c: If you want encryption, choose one

3d: From Image format choose sparse bundle disk image

Once complete double click the save image and it should mount.

• Ken VertochKen Vertoch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"You can then create a sparse bundle dmg in your bitcasa drive which once mounted you can then set as a destination for time machine." - I am confused at the start of this? When I open Disk Utility - I don't see the Bitcasa drive listed. So how can I mount a sparse bundle image if the bitcasa drive isn't shown? - Sorry if I sound confused... I am a newbie when it comes to mac stuff, and to use TimeMachine is something I would like to try with Bitcasa...

• bitCollectorbitCollector commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warning: this is not supported, so try at your own risk but...

I have found that this does seem to be possible, but you need to use a newer version of the osxfuse library (I am using 2.5.6, bitcasa installs 2.5.4) version 2.5.6 has not yet been through bitcasa qa testing (see: https://support.bitcasa.com/entries/23779486-OSXFuse)

You will need to install the newer osxfuse after bitcasa as installing bitcasa will overwrite any existing osxfuse you have installed. (Probably worth a reboot after installing the new osxfuse)

You can then create a sparse bundle dmg in your bitcasa drive which once mounted you can then set as a destination for time machine.

To set the destination, from the terminal run the following command replacing yourMountedImage with the name of your mounted disk image:

sudo tmutil setdestination /Volumes/yourMountedImage/

I have created a large sparse bundle (with encryption) and time machine seems to be quite happily using it as a destination.

I can browse through the backups and it looks ok, I have just tried restoring a deleted folder from a few hours ago and that seems to have worked.

Feedback and Knowledge Base